Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Great Commission Resurgence? (Part 4)

Anyone who has been following life in the SBC has probably realized that a part of the controversy surrounding the GCR Task Force is the result of a natural resistance to change. Some of the leaders within our convention have resisted GCR while others have whole-heartily supported it. And there are others still who are watching to see how all of this "shakes out."

Anytime you have a bureaucracy, whether it is political or religious in nature, there is always a resistance to change. That is a part of our human experience. No one particularly likes change. Someone (maybe Adrian Rogers?) once said, "The only person who likes change is a baby with a messy diaper!"

I am a little suspicious about the motives of some within our convention, but I am willing to wait and see what the GCR Task Force comes up with. I think it is wrong on our part to state what they are up to when they have not even met yet. Let's give them a chance. I'm sure we will hear plenty from them before next year's convention. After all, we should not be afraid of evaluation, even if we are not always comfortable with those performing the evaluation.

Before I close let me address one issue that really disappoints me very much. That issue is the Clark Logan fiasco and the complete lack of anything being reported by Baptist Press. I have been a big fan of Baptist Press and usually read the news on their website every day it is posted (Mon-Fri). The failure even to report that Clark had resigned makes me wonder if BP actually stands for "Baptist Propaganda." Really, does anyone not think that this was a substantial news issue, especially in light of all the Twitter and Facebook activity over the past week? I plan to email BP and let them know of my disappointment with them. And I encourage you to do the same.

God Bless,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment